Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Texas PTA Convention

I went to the Texas PTA Convention in Corpus Christi this weekend with my friend Tori. If all goes well, she will be President next year and I will be 1st VP. So we went to this convention to act as delegates for the state election and business and also for some training. Here'e the view from our first hotel room at the Omni Bayfront Hotel.



And here's Tori checking for bed bugs! Apparently, her husband traveled for business once and brought home bed bugs. Welts, bumps, etc. all over his skin and one of their kids a couple days after he came home. It took three bug "bombs" of the house and washing everything in scalding water and tossing out a lot of linens. It was much worse than lice (note to Kim: AAACCKKKK!!!)! So she's a little obsessive when staying in hotels and these mattresses did not appear up to snuff. There were no live bugs, but little black spots that she thought might be shells or feces (double AAACCKKK!!!) and we got another room down the hall. It could have been lint too, but I wasn't going to argue with her!



We had a fun dinner the first night at Crawdaddies. A dive bar kind of place with big platters of fresh shrimp (peel your own), sausage, potatoes and corn on the cob. Warm butter in a squirt bottle (OMG!) The waitress tied these bibs on everyone - big or small - and we needed them!



A giant crawfish wearing Mardi Gras beads hung from the ceiling! It was probably six feet long.



Saturday and Sunday were a whirlwind of seminars, voting sessions, marketplace booths and a bit of jewelry sales in between. I wore a necklace with turquoise pearls on the first day and so many people wanted it, I had Jennifer send a box of necklaces to the hotel! I sold a dozen pieces or so and made a lot of facebook friends for Jennifer Massey Designs. Here's Tori and I on the last day - just after we ate a cinnamon roll - but right before we went to a session on creating a Healthy Lifestyles committee! haha! It's going to be a fun year!

No comments: