Monday, January 11, 2010

It Could Have Been Worse

Much worse. Mark fell off a five-foot ladder in the driveway while taking down the Christmas lights Sunday afternoon. I didn't know he had fallen until Sarah opened the front door and I hear him tell her "Go. Get. Mommy!" He thought his right ankle was broken.

After wrangling children and neighbors to help watch them, we were off to the urgent care center. As we walked in, he was leaning on me - using me as a crutch - and the staff asked immediately, "What happened to you?" Mr. Jokester replied, "I hurt my eye." haha! It was pretty funny!

So they x-rayed his ankle and found it inconclusive. Couldn't tell if it was broken so they put a temporary cast on it. A splint made of fiberglass that hardens after it has been wet. Pretty cool stuff actually.

Then today we visited the orthopaedic doctor. They took more x-rays of the top of his foot and the shin bone but still couldn't determine what happened. Good news is that it looked like nothing was broken. Bad news is they want him to have an MRI Wednesday because he might have torn a ligament. Meanwhile, he's wearing a walking boot.

Selfishly, I'm concerned that I might not be able to go to the Dallas market this weekend. I was going to work for a friend who makes jewelry. Mark says I should still go. I have rearranged every bit of the schedule so that he won't have to drive anywhere. But like most men, he is a reluctant patient - with no patience - and will likely be driving before he should. (Are you reading this, honey?) He's been walking around the house tonight without the boot. I asked to see his discharge papers but got nothing.

So, to be continued. But I'm very thankful he only fell off the short ladder. A couple more minutes and he would have been up on the second-story roof and I shudder to think that it could have been much worse.

No comments: