Went for my pre-op visit with the surgeon today and also to the hospital for pre-op testing.
Orthopedist's office:
Step 1: Nurse
Surgical logistics, expectations, paperwork. Do I have any questions?
Step 2: Physician's Assistant
In discussing range of motion post-op, he mentions that the one thing they don't EVER want me to do again would be the "hurdler's stretch" because that's basically how they pop my leg out of joint in order to operate. Aaaaauuughhhh! Take it back! I did NOT need to know that. Questions?
Step 3: Orthopedist
More questions? He did say my implant would be a Biomet product, but I can't remember much more about it.
One thing is for sure. These people are great at giving patients the chance to ask questions!
Then I headed over to the hospital for pre-op testing.
Step 1: Nurse
As she took my pulse, she noticed my heart rate was up in the 130s and asked if I was nervous. I said that I was. But then she made me laugh when she said most of the time, she's doing pre-op tests on patients with heart rates in the 40s and 50s and has to gently rub their hands to see if they are awake! She had me raise up my shirt so she could hook up the EKG leads and the test was over in a minute or so. But right after I put my shirt down, two construction guys walk right past the first floor exam room window! The blinds were open because the area was supposedly blocked off due to construction...yeah - for everyone except the construction guys! We laughed about it.
Step 2: Blood test
Thought I was going to catch something from the tech who drew my blood. She was very sneezy, but promised it was allergies.
Step 3: Chest x-ray
My x-ray tech was quick and efficient, but he did say "Oh, you have Dr. McGowen? That's great. You are very lucky to have him." which I thought was a nice thing to say, considering he didn't have to say something like that. Or does he say that to all the patients?
I definitely did not make the most logistically convenient choice of surgeon or facility, but chose to go with the recommendation, not the convenience. The whole pre-op process, including driving back and forth, took six hours! I made it back to school just in time to pick up the kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment